I have just committed an update to MPIR's C++ header (mpirxx.h) to bring it
into line with the update that Marc Glisse did for GMP some time ago
(thanks Marc).

While doing this I found an issue with the predefined symbol we use to
detect the Intel compiler - we use INTEL_COMPILER but on Windows, at least,
the two possible defines are __INTEL_COMPILER and __ICL. As far as I can
tell the equivalent defines on Unix/Linux are __INTEL_COMPILER and __ICC.
 So I don't believe that INTEL_COMPILER is correct on either platform.

I have changed the INTEL_COMPILER define in all Windows specific files to
__INTEL_COMPILER and ensured that the __ICL define is used where
appropriate.

But I have NOT updated any Unix/Linux specific files since the defines need
to be checked out by an Intel compiler user on Unix/Linux. It may also be
necessary to choose the __INTEL_COMIPLER define for code that is OS neutral
or __ICC for code that is to run only on Unix/Linux.

On another issue, since the Visual Studio, the Intel and the GCC compilers
all support a useful common subset of C++11 features, I have conditionally
enabled these (depending on compiler version numbers).

The Microsoft v11 compiler in Visual Studio 2012 is not as complete as the
other two but those who are adventurous can use the November CTP release at
http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=35515 to obtain and
try additional C++11 features soon to be added to Visual Studio 2012.

The addition of r-value references and move semantics in particular should
improve C++ performance by eliminating the unnecessary copying of large
objects.