I have realised that mpir is as far as I am aware the only project I have
compiled so far that uses configure. At least the only one that has caused
issues thus bringing it to my attention.

It may be an issue with msys and sh.exe although the last isssue (cannot
determine how to define a 32-bit word) appears to be a compiler issue. its
probably the test thats bad

With the python detection issue. I realised that configure may be using the
exit value the opposite to the way I assumed. i.e. exit code 0 is actually
a successful test.

Is that the case?

If so I need to workout why python detection fails.