Either way, this just doesn't sound like an MPIR problem but a
MinGW/msys one.

You might want to ask on their list about random stalls.

On later versions of Windows you must disable all antivirus software and
run the MinGW/msys shell in administrator mode to avoid this. But to my
knowledge the latter happens automatically on XP, which is much less secure
by default.

Bill.