On Thursday, July 25, 2013 6:21:39 PM UTC-4, Cactus wrote:
> You are building multiple configurations in parallel, which is very
> different to the current philosophy of the Visual Studio build.  The
> current design is 'select the architecture for which you want to build
> and then build it'.
>
> It is certainly possible that mpir_config.py could be modified to
> support the build approach you are using but it would probably be better
> to supply this as another version of the file rather than attempting to
> support both build styles from one build generator (mpir_config.py is
> complex enough already!).

Hi Brian,

I realized this when I tried to create a better solution that had the pre-build
steps in a separate project in the solution.  It's unfortunate that VS comes
with parallel builds enabled, and the VS build fails in this way.  But a Google
search provides a quick solution.

> > 2.  mpir.h is not generated correctly.  Exclamation marks are deleted.
> >       Exclamation marks are used to specify delayed expansion in variables
> >       under the Win32 command parser.  Delayed expansion can be disabled
> > and
> >       enabled as needed.  I have added a command to disable delayed
> >       expansion after the first line, @echo off, in gen_mpir_h.bat and
> >       tested successfully:
> >
> >           @echo off
> >           setlocal DisableDelayedExpansion
> >           echo creating mpir.h for %1
>
> I don't understand this one as I wasn't aware that we use delayed
> variable expansion anywhere in generating mpir.h - gen_mpir_h.bat is one
> of my files and I certainly didn't intend to use any !VAR! variables
> when I created it.
>
> In which files are the exclamation marks that are being deleted?

I'm sorry.  i meant that the existence of an exclamation mark in the processed
file is treated by the win32 command processor as a tag for delayed variable
expansion in the "for /f" used to tokenize each line of gmp-h.in.

Line 32 of gmp-h.in is:

    #if ! defined (__GMP_WITHIN_CONFIGURE)

and on my system, what is emitted into gmp.h is:

    #if  defined (__GMP_WITHIN_CONFIGURE)

I felt that this was related to the implementation of delayed expansion vars in
my WinXP system.  Disabling delayed expansion solved the problem.  I haven't
tried this on Win7.  It may not be a problem there.  I can try later tonight.

Since, as you've now clarified, too, I didn't think you were using delayed var
expansion, the quickest solution was to just disable it at the top of the file
with the setlocal command.

Regards,

Alan