Hi,

Visual Studio can cope with mixed line endings but I am much less
> certain about YASM on Windows as I recall having problems with LF
> endings in the *.asm files.  I may be wrong but I think we ended up with
> LF endings everywhere except for the dedicated Windows files in x86w,
> x86_64w and the Windows build directories (basically all the stuff that
> I manage for the Visual Studio/YASM builds).
>
> Good to know.
It seems to indicate we'll have to resort to some trick to use the x86_64w
directory both for VS and MinGW/Cygwin.
And carefully deal with git which has a tendency to change the line endings
depending on the system where the changes are commited without really
asking the user.

>From what I've seen, you indeed commited a change to ensure that files in
x86*w directories have CRLF line endings, but that was changed later by
Bill.
If you could try to build what is currently available at
https://github.com/jpflori/mpir with some assembly enabled we will quickly
know if vsyasm can deal with the LF line endings files.
You should also make sure that git does not automagically convert line
endings to CRLF when you clone the repo...
If you'd prefer I can provide a tarball, so that you'll be sure to get LF
line endings.

> As you say, the commented PROLOGUE stuff in the files in the
> x86w/x86_64w directories is there to support building with
> mingw/mingw64.  I don't use these lines anywhere in the Visual Studio
> build as I scan the files for exported symbols using a different approach.
>
> Thanks for the confirmation!
Note that the x86w dir is not used for MinGW/Cygwin in 32 bits mode.
It's the x86 dir which is and that seems fine (at least the ABI should be
similar on Linux/Win32, and it builds and passes tests correctly (except
for t-scanf.exe IIRC)).

Best,
JP