ICL does handle gcc-inline assembler, f.e.

int32_t bit_scan_reverse_asm64 ( uint64_t x ) {

    __asm__ __volatile ( "bsrq %0, %0" : "=r" ( x ) : "0" ( x ) );

    return ( int32_t ) x;
}

compiles just fine without doing anything in particular. Fast-call ABI is
different from linux, though, so attention to this issue is required.

Cheers

degski

On 6 August 2013 10:47, Cactus <rieman...@gmail.com> wrote:

> This is a comment on the item:
>
> use __INTEL_COMPILER instead of INTEL_COMPILER in longlong.inc files
>
> on Bill's list of MPIR ToDo items.
>
> On Linux I believe that the defines for the "Intel compiler version" are
> __ICC
> and __INTEL_COMPILER. On WIndows the define for the "Intel compiler
> version" is __ICL.
>
> So anywhere where we need to determine that the Intel compiler is to be
> used on both Linux and Windows we will need something like:
>
> #if defined(__ICC) || defined(__ICL)
> #endif
>
> The two compilers are, I believe, highly compatible but there are
> differences.  I think the Windows Intel compiler can handle GCC style
> inline assembler and Windows style inline assembler as well.  But I believe
> that the Linux Intel compiler cannot handle Windows style inline assembler.
>
> We will hence have to be careful to use the __ICL macro if we have any
> Windows style inline assembler for x86 (there is no inline assembler on
> Windows x64). Otherwise, if I am right that the Windows compiler can handle
> GCC style inline assembler, detecting both macros should provide the
> intended performance gains on both Linux and Windows.
>
>    Brian
>
>  --

Sign the petition:
https://optin.stopwatching.us/<https://optin.stopwatching.us/>