---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Terence Henriod <thenr...@gmail.com>
Date: 7 January 2014 01:14
Subject: Having Difficulty Installing/Building MPIR
To: thempirt...@gmail.com

Hello MPIR Team,

I'm not sure if you really do support using this e-mail address, but the
Contact Us portion of your website led me to this address.

I am trying to build MPIR on my personal computer, mostly for recreational
use (Project Euler  and the like).

I used Rick Reagan's instructions at
http://www.exploringbinary.com/how-to-install-and-run-gmp-on-windows-using-mpir/
since
they seem to be referenced by many people across the web, but I'm not sure
how applicable they are to my machine and setup.

I am using a Lenovo T530 machine with an Intel Core i5-3360M 2.80GHz
processor. My OS is Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. I am using the Visual
Studio Professional 64-bit programming environment. I am trying to install
mpir-2.6.0, and I used vsyasm-1.2.0-win64 as the assembler.

I followed Rick's instructions for installing the C++ wrapper (mpirxx) in
addition to the C part. I can have a project build when I #include
<mpirxx.h>, but when I try to use the integer type, I get several linker
errors that seem to indicate that there are several MPIR methods that the
compiler is missing definitions for. To follow is the code and the error
list.

I am hoping that I have just missed a file that needed to be included in
the VS directories, and really hope that none of this is occurring because
I tried to build things meant for VS2010 in VS2012. I have also become very
sorry I am using Windows and not Linux ;) .

This is my first time trying to install an external library, so it is
highly possible that I made some other mistakes somewhere.

Thank you for your time, I appreciate any help/pointers.

Sincerely,
Terence

The errors:

error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __gmpz_set_si
error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __gmpz_clear
error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __gmpz_init_set_si
error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __gmpz_get_str
 mpirxx.lib(ompz.obj)
error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __gmp_asprintf_memory
 mpirxx.lib(osfuns.obj)
error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __gmp_asprintf_reps
 mpirxx.lib(osfuns.obj)
error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __gmp_asprintf_final
 mpirxx.lib(osdoprnti.obj)
error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __gmp_doprint_integer
 mpirxx.lib(osdoprnti.obj)
error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __gmp_allocate_func
 mpirxx.lib(osdoprnti.obj)
error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __gmp_free_func
 mpirxx.lib(osdoprnti.obj)

According to VS:
The first 3 are related to project_euler_problem_16.o (my file).
The rest are related to various mpirxx.lib files listed next to the errors.

The code:

// This is for an unfinished program to find the sum of the digits
// of 2^1000
#include <cassert>
#include <cmath>
#include <cstdio>
#include <iostream>
#include <iomanip>
#include <fstream>
#include <mpirxx.h>
using namespace std;

int main(int argc, char** argv) {
  // variables
  unsigned int power = 1000;
  unsigned int digit_sum = 0;
  mpz_class large_number = 0;
  char file_name [] = "project_euler_problem_16.txt";
  ofstream fout;
  FILE* file;

  // get the power of 2 to use
  printf("The number whose digits to be summed is: 2^");
  scanf("%u", &power);

  // compute the power
  large_number =  4;     //pow(2, power);

cout << large_number << endl;

  // write it to the file
  file = fopen(file_name, "w");
  fprintf(file, "%lf", large_number);
  fclose(file);

  // compute the sum of the digits
  //digit_sum = sumDigits(file_name);

  // report the result to the user
  printf("\nThe sum of %lf's \ndigits is: %u\n", large_number, digit_sum);
  scanf("%s", file_name);

  // return 0 on successful completion
  return 0;
}