Excellent. Here are the (abbreviated) instructions:

git clone https://github.com/wbhart/mpir
./configure {check it really detects as a nehalem/atom}
make -j
cd tune
make speed
./speed -s 1-100 -t 1 mpn_sqr_basecase

Record the values somewhere.

Now, on the nehalem, remove the file mpn/x86_64/nehalem/sqr_basecase.as
On the atom, remove mpn/x86_64/atom/sqr_basecase.as

Now time it again (go to top level directory):

./configure
make clean
make -j
cd tune
make speed
./speed -s 1-100 -t 1 mpn_sqr_basecase

Check the clock speed reported in both runs is the same on each machine.

Tell me whether the numbers in the second run are mostly lower or not.

If they are can you send the numbers to me and the output of

./speed -s 1-100 -t 1 mpn_kara_sqr_n

for each machine.

Thanks.

Bill.