On 15 January 2016 at 21:01, Alex Dyachenko <adya...@gmail.com> wrote:

> At the time I started almost two years ago, there was a much simpler
> wrapper or two, searching now yields a couple, but they are both for
> integers only and don't use deferred execution.  At any rate, there isn't
> one that's officially part of MPIR, so I thought I'd make one.

Great.

> Visual Studio does assume Windows; I haven't done any work in c# on Linux
> so that is indeed a very good question.  Since my interop is written in
> C++/CLI, it's most likely a no-go for Linux, but according to
> http://tirania.org/blog/archive/2011/Dec-19.html Mono on Linux can
> already consume C++ directly so I'm guessing it can just use the native
> MPIR C++ interface.  Mine was an effort to open MPIR to Windows .Net
> developers.

Yeah I don't know the technical details. But MS basically open sourced a
lot of their own stuff, independently of Mono, and most of it works on
Linux now I think.

> On Linux, "makeinfo mpir.texi" runs without error, but "make pdf" gets me
> a "No rule to make target 'pdf'".

You have to do that in the doc directory, as with the other command.

> However I can use "texi2dvi --pdf mpir.texi" to create a PDF; is that the
> same thing?

I don't know.

> I'm confused about diff vs. whole project.  I was envisioning that my
> files, 95% of which are new and a handful existing MPIR files slightly
> modified, would become part of your repo just like Brian's VS builds now
> are.

Cool.

> Then anyone downloading an MPIR release sources from mpir.org would have
> the option, if they like, to build my adapter and consume it.  The other
> way this can work, and they can do it today, is if they clone my own fork,
> but I wonder if anyone in the world besides the readers of this thread
> knows about it.
>
> In that case I would suggest also keeping a website somewhere for the
project with your name on it prominently and a note saying that the
interface is already part of MPIR version blah and later.

I'm personally happy for you to contribute this to the project, modulo us
taking a look and making sure the code looks readable. But Brian will also
need to agree. The fact that you have agreed to continue maintaining it
will certainly make the decision whether we want to include this easier.