Hi,

1>EXEC : error : static library tests need 'mpirxx.lib'

Brian 's still asleep I would say. You'll need to build the cpp wrapper lib
' mpirxx.lib' as well and put that next to your 'mpir.lib', you'll probably
need another header (mpir.hpp ?) as well, cannot remember.

Having said that, the cpp wrapper is included with mpir (which is the same
as the one with gmp) is really just an afterthought and there are much
better solutions wrapping mpir for modern c++, like this one
https://github.com/bluescarni/mppp, it is also actively being developed,
and I know from doing it that requesting anything extra to be added will
get a positive response and will actually be done (I wanted full bit-wise
operators for mpz's and that's now included f.e.

Other than that, I'm afraid you're a bit behind the curve. Also in the
Microsoft world things are moving towards "build yourself". To that purpose
(or in support of) Microsoft just spent 8 Billion dollars to acquire
GitHub, so they must definitely like it. The new build tools on windows are
basically cmake and ninja. VS17 has full support for git, github and cmake
(and improving with every weekly release ;-) ). When you get the hang of
it, it's actually quite nifty and works like a dream. Make sure you have
the latest versions at all time as these tools are in constant flux due to
the much increased usage (in the ms-world).

Microsoft also started a project called vcpkg, This is a package manager
(automatic download, build for your system, and integrate with vc). You can
find that project at https://github.com/Microsoft/vcpkg . They are
extremely active, packages are added on a weekly basis, but there's no
limit, just what people contributing manage to get done during that week.
You can find a host of software packages there, including mpir. Most
packages can also be built with vcpkg for/on nix. The project is slowly
warping into being a system for all. As usual, after pissing on win-guys
for years, the nix guys cannot wait to get their foot in as soon as
something good is happening in the ms-world.

With the latter there is a hitch, though, as it only provides the generic
c-build. If someone (unfortunately always the same person) could improve
that, then mpir would be on much better footing.

@Brian Gladman <b...@gladman.plus.com>

You allude to a separate distro for nix and win, yes, maybe you should even
just fork and create a new project vcmp (or mmp Microsoft Multi Precision).
Improving availability and distribution might even attract some new blood
to support the project.

degski
PS: my apologies (to all) for the ranting, did not have my coffee yet.

On Sat, 18 Aug 2018 at 06:00, UZRNW SDRXG <sdvuis2341dwvsw...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Whoops, here are the compiler logs! Can't seem to figure out how to edit
> my last post.
>
> 1>------ Rebuild All started: Project: add-test-lib, Configuration:
> Release x64 ------
> 1>EXEC : error : static library tests need 'mpirxx.lib'
> 1>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual
> Studio\2017\Community\Common7\IDE\VC\VCTargets\Microsoft.CppCommon.targets(123,5):
> error MSB3073: The command "cd ..\..\..\build.vc
> 1>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual
> Studio\2017\Community\Common7\IDE\VC\VCTargets\Microsoft.CppCommon.targets(123,5):
> error MSB3073: check_config x64 Release 15
> 1>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual
> Studio\2017\Community\Common7\IDE\VC\VCTargets\Microsoft.CppCommon.targets(123,5):
> error MSB3073: :VCEnd" exited with code -1.
> 1>Done building project "add-test-lib.vcxproj" -- FAILED.
> ========== Rebuild All: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 skipped ==========
>
> 1>------ Rebuild All started: Project: mpz.addsub, Configuration: Release
> x64 ------
> 1>EXEC : error : static library tests need 'mpirxx.lib'
> 1>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual
> Studio\2017\Community\Common7\IDE\VC\VCTargets\Microsoft.CppCommon.targets(123,5):
> error MSB3073: The command "cd ..\..\..\build.vc
> 1>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual
> Studio\2017\Community\Common7\IDE\VC\VCTargets\Microsoft.CppCommon.targets(123,5):
> error MSB3073: check_config x64 Release 15
> 1>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual
> Studio\2017\Community\Common7\IDE\VC\VCTargets\Microsoft.CppCommon.targets(123,5):
> error MSB3073: :VCEnd" exited with code -1.
> 1>Done building project "mpz.addsub.vcxproj" -- FAILED.
> ========== Rebuild All: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 skipped ==========
>
> On Fri, Aug 17, 2018 at 9:47 PM, UZRNW SDRXG <sdvuis2341dwvsw...@gmail.com
> > wrote:
>
>> I have been trying it all day. I can do several different things so far,
>> but none lead to success. I can successfully compile a mpir.lib Release/x64
>> and incorporate it into another C project. However compiling that project
>> complains of not being able to open LIBCMT.LIB. LIBCMT is a VStudio lib and
>> not used by my other C compiler at all. I am not sure why it's trying to
>> use it either.
>>
>> If I try to compile any of the \mpir-3.0.0\build.vc15\tune.sln examples
>> they all fail instantly with the same non-helpful error.
>>
>> On Fri, Aug 17, 2018 at 5:13 PM, Brian Gladman <b...@gladman.plus.com>
>> wrote:

>>> trying for 200+ hours get anything to do anything. I know in Unix it's
>>> typical to release source code, but on Windows nobody does it that way.
>>>
>>> Hi Brett,
>>>
>>> I'm sorry that you have had issues in obtaining a suitable windows
>>> binary of MPIR.  I wish that you had asked for help here before doing
>>> all that  work since I feel sure that we could have steered you in the
>>> right direction.

> [...]

*"If something cannot go on forever, it will stop" - Herbert Stein*