A few people have mentioned  a system of proportional representation (which
is what this talk of at-large seats stems from) which is commonly known as
"mixed": having some seats be elected from wards or districts, while others
are "at large".  This seems to me a good solution: if everyone were "at
large" there might be little connection to the local neighborhoods, and,
conceivably, the entire council could focus on the interests of one
group.(hmm...sounds slightly familiar?)
With a mixed member system some reps are accountable to a locale, and a
population; therefore (in theory) would advocate on behalf of their
particular constituents.
Who can tell me what structural changes would need to occur to put this into
effect?  Charter? State law?

Arthur LaRue
6-6/Cedar-Riverside