T H E M I N N E A P O L I S O B S E R V E R
A Weekly Digest of All Things Minneapolitan
Vol. 1, No. 10
October 22, 2001

THIS WEEK IN THE OBSERVER:
* Local Dentist at Ground Zero
* Housing Opera Stars
* Getting Out the Vote
* Republicans for Rybak
* Plus: Saving McPhail, a shooting in Cleveland, tracking bar crimes, Jackie for governor, and the real bioterrorists.

(This is a preview edition of The Observer. To subscribe to the full-text edition ($12/yr.), e-mail your request to [EMAIL PROTECTED])

NORTH SIDE DENTIST AT GROUND ZERO
Dr. John Williams, a North side forensic dentist, spent two weeks at Ground Zero after the World Trade Center disaster as part of a federal disaster relief effort. Williams and six other dentists worked in the morgue at the New York City Chief Medical Examiner's office, taking information from bodies recovered at the site and working with family members of missing persons.

MINNESOTA OPERA GETS INTO THE HOUSING BUSINESS
A former tire warehouse in downtown Minneapolis will become the temporary home for visiting opera singers beginning in December.

GET OUT THE VOTE
Two African American community activists have announced a major voter registration drive for the November elections. The Rev. Randolph Staten and Lynn Daniels hope to register 10,000 new voters, according to Insight News (www.insightnews.com). "There are far too many African Americans in Minneapolis who don't vote," said Daniels. "We cannot afford to not take advantage of this precious right."

WATERING HOLE CAPACITY UP, CRIME DOWN
Total capacity of downtown bars in 2001: 22,050
Number of thefts and assaults: 320
Total capacity of downtown bars in 1997: 17,706
Number of thefts and assaults: 500
--Source: Skyway News

UNCORROBORATED GOSSIP OF THE WEEK
City Council President Jackie Cherryhomes has abandoned plans to run for mayor in 2005 and will be exploring a run for governor.

THE BIG TENT
Republicans endorsing R.T. Rybak for mayor, according to a piece of literature recently making the rounds:
Carolyn Anderson, former Metropolitan Sports Facilities Commissioner
Sally Howard, former council member
Parker Trostel, former council member
Peter Bell, Center of the American Experiment board member
Dan Cohen, former council member
Sarah Janecek, Republican lobbyist
Randy Johnson, Hennepin County commissioner
Mary Tambornino, Hennepin County commissioner

GET EMPOWERED
The Minneapolis Empowerment Zone is seeking to fill a vacancy on its 30-member Governance Board. Applicants must reside in an Empowerment Zone (parts of North and Near North, Southeast, and Lake Street). The board is responsible for implementing the Empowerment Zone strategic plan and recommending policies to sustain Empowerment Zone communities. For information, call Jenny Yanke at 673-5444 or visit www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/ez.

SAVING MCPHAIL
The City Council on October 12 approved historic preservation designation for the building housing the McPhail Center for the Arts.

BACK IN THE DAY
"Niland needs to grow and evolve before he's ready for public office."
--Editorial endorsing Judy Schwartau over Jim Niland to succeed Council Member Brian Coyle in the 6th Ward
Star Tribune
October 22, 1991

IT'S JUST MY OPINION, BUT . . .
In the midst of our current anthrax paranoia, it's worth noting that more people will die this year from cancer-causing toxins in the environment than we could possibly imagine succumbing to bioterrorism.

BACKTALK
[Joan Campbell's primary loss was] shocking perhaps to folks outside the 2nd Ward ("Second Ward Race could Spark Green Party Hopes," 10/15). She pissed off so many with her arrogance and purposeful disregard of our opinions on housing and business development. She's clearly anti-neighborhood and into corporate welfare. Her campaign expenses (she spend about $21-$22 per vote) included a $500-plus "campaign wardrobe" from Dayton's. I supported both Zerby and Gordon in the hopes that we could eliminate her in the primary, and . . . we did!!! A double-barreled victory.
--Andy Mickel