[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> The culture of poverty theory helps the school board justify keeping things
> the way they are, in and outside of a courtroom setting.

Does naming a cluster of facts "the culture of poverty,"
automatically constitute using it as a "theory" to maintain
the status quo? I cited 'culture of poverty' to identify one
way in which kids fail to achieve.
The schools say, I think, that they don't have the skills
and resources to make an impact on that sub-cultural gordian
knot, break it open and let the kids inside out.
Several people on this list have said, in effect, that the
schools have to do it whether they have the resources or
not.
For my own opinion, worth just what you paid for it, this is
an impass. And my solution would be a flock of nuns,
particularly missionary-type nuns, Benedictans or
Franciscans, who have a lot of experience working against
that norm and have made an impact on it to some degree in
various parts of the globe, including Cincinnati and
Northern Kentucky. Let them teach by example in public
schools.
Other than that, it will take a concerted effort by the
citizenry--with or without children--to push the weight of
bureaucracies involved to make that change. Them's the
fac's, jack, regardless of who is responsible. How do we
wrestle a bear into submission with a popsicle stick?
I'm open to suggestions for how to proceed.
WizardMarks, Central

acceptance of blame for an attitude?
The school system is saying, if what you say is accurate,