Well, I thought you all might be interested in the following information
from the Park Board this evening.
We held a Special Meeting in order to submit two names to the Charter
Commission for the Park Board appointees.  Apparently there is a process
whereby City Council reps are replaced with Park Board reps somewhere in
the process when it is time to redistrict the Park Districts.

Anyway, Walter made a motion to accept Tony Scallon and Scott Neiman as our
two reps. Needless, to say this raised the rancor of some
members.  Rochelle proceeded to submit the names of Naomi Loper and Patty
Hillmeyer.  In the discussion it was pointed out that the Charter
Commission has some rulings that state that former elected officials cannot
serve for at least two years of their time in office.  When this came up it
was pointed out that this does not hold true for Park Board appointees.

So I proceeded to state that we don't have to do things just because we can
but why not follow the same rules that apply to everyone else.  And there
was a motion to lay on the table the action to next week in order to allow
for checking in with possible nominees, finding out if people want to serve
and give us some choices in a pool of people we would like to put
forward.  This motion although not debatable managed to be pulled after
Walter agreed to pull his motion and vote next week on these appointments.

Now we have a week to come up with names and bios and the persons agreeing
to serve if chosen.

Any input, suggestions or comments on or off line would be appreciated.

A little Park Board intrigue during the January "blahs".

Annie Young
Citywide Park Commissioner
East Phillips