Last fall, I wrote about the problem of having
snow plowed into our driveways.  I am repeating
part of that message and adding some additional
information.  I don't appreciate having snow
plowed into my driveway, especially if it should
happen soon before I need to leave for an
important appointment.  On such occasions,
there is no time for me for get help and I must
remove the snow very carefully with small
shovelfuls, at a time in my life when I am about
twice the age of a person who might be told to
hang up the snow shovel for good.  Think of the
wear and tear on the human body including the
back and, perhaps terminally, the heart.  This
would seem to be a much more important
consideration than any extra wear and tear on
plowing equipment that would take place in
order to rectify the driveway plugging situation.

A snow plow attachment exists that has a gate
that can be lowered temporarily when the snow
plowing vehicle approaches a driveway.  This
attachment blocks the flow of snow from the
curb end of the plow until the plow has passed
beyond the driveway.  The result is that there
is very little plowing residue left in the driveway
entrance and the home owner only needs to
remove the precipitated snow, if not done
beforehand, not the heavy, packed snow that
the plow leaves.  This snow plow attachment
also works at public crosswalks where many
people have difficulty climbing over mounds of
snow in order to cross the streets.  In addition
it would remove the danger of children sliding
into the path of a vehicle when they might be
on a crosswalk mound while waiting for a
vehicle to pass.

Higate is a snow retention attachment that is
in use in a number of cities.  It is manufactured
by:

North Products, Inc.
2947 Tyler Parkway
Bismarck, ND 58503
701-255-1027

Here are some of the features as stated by
North Products, Inc.:

1. Can be adapted to most blades.
2. Mounts inside the operation edge of a
    plow blade.
3. Can be initially mounted left or right hand,
    without any parts to change.
4. Operates parallel to the curb.
5. Has the strength and integrity to give many
    years of service when compared to existing
    snow gates.
6. Completely welded construction, except for
    the bolt on replaceable road contact wear
    strip.
7. Will go a long way in solving snow ridge
    problems.
8. Is affordable and operator friendly

I have a video cassette that illustrates the
Higate snow retainer attachment in action.
Minneapolis officials (Mayor, Council Members,
etc.) are encouraged to order their own videos.

The contact person is Lee E. Jensen,
President of North Products.  His email
address is:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

I don't believe that there should be any need for
contention between alley people and driveway
residents over keeping driveways unplugged.
Alleys are a fraction of the width of streets and
therefore snow plow ridges in front of garages
on alleys are relatively small.  (I've also been
an alley resident.)  Another consideration is
that driveway residents have always been
taxed for the plowing and routine maintenance
of alleys.  The special benefit for driveway
residents is long overdue in that the city has
not been plowing twenty or more feet of their
driveways.

Some of the money that has been saved in
snowplowing this year should be used to buy
some of the snow retention attachments and
try them out.  Our backs and hearts, as well
as our convenience should be worthy of
consideration.

Neal E. Simons
Prospect Park