Mr. Piehl technically is correct.  The Twins "could" decide they don't want
to pay their 10 million and renege on the deal.  Presumably there would be
an agreement between the State and the Twins regarding default provisions
and penalties for default.  Otherwise the State could always sue forcing the
Twins to pay up.  However, using this logic is a recipe for never doing
anything!!  Banks could never exist under Mr. Piehl's scenario -- they would
never lend money for fear that the loan reciever might default.

As I posted earlier.  The Guv's plan has a lot of merit.  No one would
object if the Twins would privately finance a stadium, right?  However even
under a private finance scenario the Twins would still take out loans and
repay them over time from the revenues generated by the stadium.  Under the
Guv's plan, the State is the bank. Wells Fargo and USBank can't do this
because they can't get their hands on the low-interest bonds that the state
can.

Basically the $10 mil annually is the rent to play in the ball park.  Naming
rights over 30 years would come close to covering this, so the Twins could
virtually be playing rent-free.  Couple that with Personal Seat Licenses,
and a cut of the concessions and this plan may be quite attractive to the
Twins, at no cost to the taxpayers. Oh yea of course the risk involved if
the Twins ever wanted to back out of this sweet deal. (To get an idea of how
these stadium concession deals work... if you went to the X-Arena these past
weekends to watch high school hockey or the WCHA final 5 and bought a hotdog
or coke, t-shirt, etc.,  you were contributing to the hockey Wild's bottom
line even though they were nowhere near the building.)

The biggest flaw in the Guv's plan is how do the Twins come up with $165 mil
up front.  Given the Twins guarded, but positive, reaction to the plan, they
must think it has merit too.

Dean E. Carlson
East Harriet, Ward 10 (for now at least)