> From the link supplied by David Brauer: "A
> fundraising consultant raised that possibility with
> library trustees recently by posing an intriguing
> question: 'If someone wanted to give you $15
> million, would you be willing to name the library
> after a person?' The immediate, if informal,
> reaction was a resounding yes."
>
> Hoo boy, this idea really makes my heart sink. How
> about some more literary alternatives:

This actually bothers you?

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but it seems like a lot of
libraries owe their origination to philanthropist
donations.

I fondly remember going to the Ludlow library when I
was a child. I don't actually know who Ludlow was, but
when I was older, I also enjoyed going to the Ludlow
bar so I owe the person two thank yous.

A rose by another name would smell as sweet. A library
with another $15 mil of non-taxpayer money in it will
smell even sweeter, (almost) regardless of the name.

- Jason Goray, Sheridan NE
(there are always those truly offensive exceptions)