I, too, think the city fathers should get behind
an effort to have licensure only by the state.
That will be a strong sign that they don't want
too much coziness with those regulated.  It would
be a clean-government move.  And the state
standards should be strong enough to suffice for
Minneapolis.

As Jim G said, there should be no reason that a
homeowner with the skills can't get a permit and
do the work and then get it inspected.  This is a
pro-consumer system of values and that is what
our government should consider a priority.
Personally, I wouldn't do too many things, but I
know a lot of other men and women, confronted by
the staggering per-hour rates of professional
plumbers, would.  I have to think that it is not
the nature of the work that causes that but an
artificial restraint on the market. If I, without
either training or even aptitude, can do simple
plumbing work, the rate of pay should be modest.
But adverse regulations have made it nearly
unaffordable for a lot of people.

People who use plumbers have many more votes than
the plumbers do.  If the playing field is
severely tilted, it has to be a corruption of
democracy.  We progressives should be helping to
tilt the playing field back towards the level.

=====
=====
Jim Mork----Cooper Neighborhood

"Blessed are the peacemakers for they will
 be called children of God"--Matthew 5:9

United for Peace  http://www.unitedforpeace.org/