Michael writes:

> Trent Lott, Strom Thurmond, Jesse Helms, and George Wallace have
> all been elected despite repeated challenges from worthy opponents.
> I don't see how this implies that they were accountable in any moral
> or ethical sense.  I think that it only implies that they are
> accountable in some pragmatic sense to the majority of their
> constituents who voted to kept them in office.  Democracy does
> not guarantee high ethical standards; it only assures that, in
> most cases, representatives reflect the will of the majority of
> those who vote in elections.

My point, in this case, was not about ethics - Margaret mentioned that
Phyllis was also not accountable. My point is she is, at least to the voters
of her district.

As for ethics, I do think when you call someone a liar there should be proof
rather than mere disagreement.

David Brauer
King Field

TEMPORARY REMINDER:
1. Send all posts in plain-text format.
2. Cut as much of the post you're responding to as possible.