Chris Johnson writes:

With just 7.8% of the state's population, Minneapolis contributes roughly
10% of the state government's tax revenue.

For those 2 primary categories, Minneapolis residents paid $342 million in
sales tax in 2001.

For the 2003 fiscal year Minneapolis residents will pay more than $402
million in income taxes.

Minneapolis corporations paid $101 million in income taxes generated in
Minneapolis in 2001.

Despite mixing 2001 (smaller than 2003 will be) and 2003 figures.....

Minneapolis' share of the state work force that goes to work each day in
Minneapolis is 12%

Vicky responds -

It is my duty as a taxpayer to present the other side of a frothy argument.
Sorry.

First, if Minneapolis residents pay more income and sales taxes in 2003
than they did in 2001, we would be quite an anomaly.  Tax collections have
dropped through the floor over the past two years.

Second, the people who can and do pay income and sales taxes will continue
to do so - no matter where they live within Minnesota.  In other words, if
the property taxes in Minneapolis drive taxpayers and businesses to the
suburbs, the State loses NOTHING.

Minneapolis must compete with other cities.  The cities that deliver the
highest quality services and amenities at the most reasonable cost win.

Think of the State as Mom - proudly watching her children (the cities)
figure out how to stand on their own two feet.  Mom is still willing to
subsidize some mistakes - but not forever.

Quite frankly, I don't know if Minneapolis is an economic engine or an
economic Shop Vac.  What I do know is that it's a lot cheaper to live in
North Oaks - at least for now.

Vicky Heller
Cedar-Riverside taxpayer and North Oaks resident

TEMPORARY REMINDER:
1. Send all posts in plain-text format.
2. Cut as much of the post you're responding to as possible.