> Vicky Writes

>It is my duty as a taxpayer to present the other side of a frothy argument.
>Sorry.
>
>First, if Minneapolis residents pay more income and sales taxes in 2003
>than they did in 2001, we would be quite an anomaly. Tax collections have
>dropped through the floor over the past two years.
>
>Second, the people who can and do pay income and sales taxes will continue
>to do so - no matter where they live within Minnesota. In other words, if
>the property taxes in Minneapolis drive taxpayers and businesses to the
>suburbs, the State loses NOTHING.
>
>Minneapolis must compete with other cities. The cities that deliver the
>highest quality services and amenities at the most reasonable cost win.
>
>Think of the State as Mom - proudly watching her children (the cities)
>figure out how to stand on their own two feet. Mom is still willing to
>subsidize some mistakes - but not forever.
>
>Quite frankly, I don't know if Minneapolis is an economic engine or an
>economic Shop Vac. What I do know is that it's a lot cheaper to live in
>North Oaks - at least for now.
>
>Vicky Heller
>Cedar-Riverside taxpayer and North Oaks resident

Dennis responds:

I am sure it is cheaper to live COMPARABLY in North Oaks than in Minneapolis.  The point that you may be missing however is that many of the people living in Minneapolis couldn't live COMPARABLY in North Oaks at the same cost.  Is it possible that part of the income you enjoy that allows you to live "more cheaply" in North Oaks is derived by your ownership of properties in Minneapolis?

A not so good analogy might be that you don't go to a Lexus dealership to by a Chevrolet.  They can be purchased more cost-effectively at a Chevrolet dealership.  However, the Chevrolet dealership sells infinitely more cars and provides more jobs to the economy than does the Lexus dealership.

But then again, in tough economic times, maybe we should just have the Chevrolet owners walk to work, instead of buying new cars.

Dennis Plante
Jordan

MSN 8 helps ELIMINATE E-MAIL VIRUSES. Get 2 months FREE*. TEMPORARY REMINDER: 1. Send all posts in plain-text format. 2. Cut as much of the post you're responding to as possible. ________________________________ Minneapolis Issues Forum - A City-focused Civic Discussion - Mn E-Democracy Post messages to: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Subscribe, Unsubscribe, Digest, and more: http://e-democracy.org/mpls