I agree with the snippet below.  Demonstrators (on both sides) should
pay for any extraordinary policing and/or clean up needs.  All
demonstrations should have permits.  The same goes for rioters, looters,
etc.  Restitution is a venerable practice.

Does anyone know what fines for demonstrations have been in the past, or
even if there have been any fines for Minneapolis demonstrations?  And,
if charges have been brought, have they come from the City, County, or
Feds in relation to actual fines levied?

Barbara Nelson
Burnsville
Once and future Minneapolitan

Jim Graham wrote:
Minneapolis should arrest enough people and fine them to pay for any
police
service at any demonstration.  This includes both sides! Or require a
bond
to be filed before giving a permit for the demonstration.  If there are
demonstrations that get out of hand and disorderly then the costs should
be
taken from the bond. Those who give more than lip service to their cause

will not mind paying the fines or doing the time.  I do not remember
taking
part in any civil unrest, (and I have a few), where I was not more than
willing to pay that price. Such a test would sort of weed out the ones
who
are doing it for fashion and fun from the ones who truly care. I do not
care
to pay for fashion and fun on either side.

--
Barbara Nelson
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"War does not determine who is right - only who is left."
             -Bertrand Russell

TEMPORARY REMINDER:
1. Send all posts in plain-text format.
2. Cut as much of the post you're responding to as possible.