At 8:09 PM -0500 6/25/03, Annie Young wrote in reply to me, where I asked why the new decorative signs on Minnehaha Parkway no longer state whether one is on East Minnehaha or West Minnehaha, and also asked why the signs all say "Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board":

AS you point out, the new signs are appearing thanks to Federal IS-TEA money and our Scenic Byways designation. This Federal Pot of money is the only safe/positive money we have for doing information and marketing of the Scenic Byways (aka the Regional Parks system and the Grand Rounds). And we have been able to keep at least a couple of more jobs because of this Federal money because they have allowed us to make the signs with our own carpenters and painters on staff - no outside contracts.
All of your points may or may not be valid, so will ask staff for an answer to those concerns. But my first response is WHY NOT?
For the moment,
Annie Young
citywide Park Commissioner

If the money to build and place these signs was given to the Parks department to provide information about and market the National Scenic Byway status of the parkway, it seems even harder to understand why the signs do not have that information on them.

As for the validity of my point that East and West Minnehaha are different roads, I can provide anyone who needs to know with contact to people who get misdirected mail and lost folks standing on the doorstep due to confusion between East and West. The parkway, as it runs through Tangletown, is by no means easy to navigate by people who do not already know it. The new signs, by providing less information than the old ones, add to the heightened confusion.

In any event, I look forward to hearing more about these questions once you've heard back from the Park Board staff.

Karen Cooper, noticing that you can't get there from here in Tangletown
TEMPORARY REMINDER:
2. If you don't like what's being discussed here, don't complain - change the subject
(Mpls-specific, of course.)