Michelle Gross wrote:

> >Michael Atherton:  Mr. Brauer's objection to my analogy
> >aside (power is not a necessary condition for racism),
> >I believe that this declaration makes it fairly
> >obvious that race is one factor in this group's objection to
> >Mr. Jennings selection.
>
> Michael is incorrect here.  Numerous social scientists have
> defined racism as bigotry plus the power to back it up.  Power
> is the necessary ingredient that transforms individual bigotry
> into institutionalized racism.  Since whites have power in this
> country and Blacks (and other people of color) generally don't,
> racism is a uniquely white phenomenon, though bigotry is
> not.  For that reason, "reverse racism" is a myth in this
> country because, except in small enclaves, people of color do
> not have the power to act on prejudices to create widespread
> systems and mechanisms to enforce those prejudices and use them
> to maintain social control.

I have a different perspective than these numerous social scientists.
I adhere to the common dictionary definition (2):

ra-cism (rasizm) n. 1. The belief that race accounts for differences
in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior
to others. 2. Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

It is interesting that Ms. Gross's definition allows people of
color to discriminate on the basis of race, while excluding
others.  Of course groups have always changed definitions to
fit their political agendas, although not always in the direction
of basic human rights and equality.  As is the case here as well.
The problem with allowing discrimination to be defined relatively,
is that injustice oscillates from one group to another depending
on the balance of power and the situation in which it is applied.
A general focus on the rights of individuals makes the elimination
of discrimination a matter of enforcement rather than an assessment
of the relative distribution of power between individuals;
a particularly dicey task.

What I find astounding about this situation is that people are
racially prejudice towards the current superintendent
and yet this person has done nothing to change what appears to be a
discriminatory system, i.e., it is not obvious that children
of color are any better off now than previously.  I think that
we should at least hear what proposals Mr. Jennings has to make
the system more equitable.  That is the relevant issue here not
his race or his past political actions (which are marginally
incorrect).  I have to admit that if Mr. Jennings has no such
proposals then the Board should reconsider.

I have no objections to people protesting, but given their
current statement they should be willing to accept opposition
to another candidate simply because they are Black and not because
they might be the best choice. The idea that we should accept a Black
superintendent just because African Americans are not as powerful
as Whites is absurd.  We should select a superintendent who will have
the greatest positive impact on student achievement irregardless
of their race.  THAT was the Dream: the content of their character,
not the color of their skin.

Michael Atherton
Prospect Park