Dan McGuire wrote:

>     Arguing the significance of the arts in education is like
> arguing for the significance of water to human life.  Only a
> very small percentage of those who have lived on this planet
> and considered themselves educated would suggest otherwise;
> that small group's perspective on human existence, past and
> present, was and is rather narrow .
>
> Proof is the light touch
> of a newly fallen leaf
> in a young child's hand.

Currently I don't have time for an extended reply, but I'd
just like to give you something to think about.  First,
although touching, poetry is not necessarily a strong augment
to base billions of dollars of education funding on. Secondly,
by all rights I shouldn't be here reading your poetry.

Born a century ago,
I would be dead at 27,
and again at 52.

Many children might not make it past their first birthdays
if not for science.  For me that gives science priority over
art.  Dead artists don't create much of anything.

Michael Atherton
Prospect Park