Dorie Rae Gallagher writes:

> Some children will never be literate..they can not learn. But
> many of those children /adults can product artwork that is
> extordinary.
>
> (Sister Kenny Art Show for Artists with Disabilities) Give
> people the tools to be happy. Be it math problems, science,
> art classes, music and let them be the best they can
> be in whatever form of life.

I'm not sure what this is formally called, but I'd just label it
the statistical outlier fallacy.  Sure some fraction of a percentage
of children will never be literate.  We formerly referred to them
as retarded, now we apply any one of a number of more specialized
and accurate labels.  Regardless, these children are a tiny
minority and it is fallacious to apply their situations to the
vast majority of school aged children

> A person can be happy in dire poverty, (who sets that standard?),
> a person can be miserable with a bank full of money.

I believe that research shows that poverty is not all it's
cracked (no pun intended) up to be.  Poor people, on the
average, suffer more mental illness, have more health problems,
and live shorter lives.  If you haven't been there it might
be hard to have a realistic perspective.

> Children are being mainstreamed these days and schools need
> to be prepared to handle children with all levels of IQ.

Maybe mainstreaming is a policy that we might want to reconsider.

> All children want to do their very best but unfortunately,
> parenting and other factors take their toll.

Is this a nativist assumption that the human species is
genetically endowed to "do their very best?" I think that
this is a false assumption that illustrates the difference
between the basic axioms of liberal and conservative politics.
I don't understand how anyone who has or has had children can believe
that children are intrinsically good, children are intrinsically
selfish; they will do their best if they want to and you encourage
to do so. If children intrinsically wanted to do their best,
then we could reasonable expect societies would be more
benevolent, but obviously they are not.

> If they can't learn science perhaps they can learn color theory.

And then what?  I don't know anyone who makes a living on color
theory alone.  I don't understand how you can assume that there
are enough jobs so that a large portion of the population can make
a living in the Arts.  When I worked in advertising, most everyone
did fine arts on the side and no one made much of anything.  Even
the commercial artist jobs were hard to come by and there was immense
competition for them.  The only way that a large portion of our
population could survive doing art is if we exploited the Third
World even more than we do now.  And while we're discussing the
Third World, you might want to think about all those dirt poor
peasants who work 12 to 16 hours for a dollar to produce the art
that you put on your floor.  Maybe you should ask them how they
feel about the value of the Arts.

> Expect the best from children and you will receive it...and give
> all children a chance without judgement, you don't know where that
> child has been in life.

I would rephrase this, "Demand the best from children and most
often you will get more than if allow them to be self-directed."

The only Minneapolis link here is that probably many people,
especially teachers and MPS administrators, probably agree with
Ms. Gallagher, which may explain why achievement is so low
in our schools.

Michael Atherton
Prospect Park