Earlier in this thread I believe someone suggested that if we would just legalize the drugs that are now illegal, we'd free-up a lot of space in our prison sytem, allowing us to incarcerate (if we so chose to) the level III sex-offenders currently at-large.

The only reasonable argument I can think of for legalizing pot would be that I think society would start "shifting the blame" on the societal implications of the issue, from the "seller" to the end-user. Alcohol is legal to purchase and consume, under very tight social standards. Typically, we place the blame for its misuse on the end-user. Drive imparied, you pay the price. Purchase it, or consume it underage, you pay the price. Sell it or give it to someone underage, you pay the price. I don't know of any civil lawsuits that were brought against the manufacturer or distributors of this product that have allowed for the blame to be placed on them.

However, it appears that some would like to tie the legalization of pot to reducing many of the minority (mostly male) individuals currently incarcerated at the local, county and state level. One only has to look at the rap sheets of most of these individuals to determine that the true culprit aren't the drugs that we (as a society) have deemed illegal. It's the manner in which society views the fault associated with criminal activity of this type. We never view the end-user as "preying upon" the seller. It's always been easier to identify with locking-up the small-time seller (who was going to commit other crimes against society anyway).

Legalize pot, without dealing with the socio-economic consequences of the action and at this level, in Minneapolis, we'll end-up having this very same discussion about another similar matter in the very foreseeable future.

Back to the issue of Level III sex-offenders in Minneapolis. I only have one question. How is it, as a progressive-thinking society we feel comfortable in concentrating these individuals into neighborhoods that are least-equipped to deal with the issue? As mentioned before, my zip-code - 55411, has I believe the highest concentration (by far) of any zip-code in the state. Yet the residents in that zip-code have one of the lowest per-capita incomes and the highest level of residents under the age of 18. Is there anyone out there that can reasonable explain how this is a socially acceptable thing? Who possibly, could benefit from this decision? The offenders themselves? Society as a whole? The children and adults living in these areas that, because of their socio-economic standing are inherently MUCH less likely to report a sex-related crime???

The verbage for an enforceable law, whether it happens at the state, local or penal-system level is NOT going to be an easy thing to come-up with. However, if we ever plan on dealing with this issue progressively, it HAS to happen.

dennis plante
jordan

1. Think a member has violated the rules? Email the list manager at [EMAIL PROTECTED] before continuing it on the list. 2. Don't feed the troll! Ignore obvious flame-bait.