----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Jensvold" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <mpls@mnforum.org>
Sent: Thursday, April 28, 2005 4:25 PM
Subject: Re: [Mpls] Drugs in Minneapolis/What's a Mayor to do?

The city dodges the illegal immigration question with
"its not our responsibility"

Why should it be any different with federal drug laws?

1. The drug laws are criminal in nature, whereas violations of immigration laws are only civil.

2. Drug laws are illegal under both federal and state law, thereby imposing a responsibility for state and local officials to enforce them. Immigration laws are only contained in federal statutes and regulations, and not at all covered under state laws.

3. The application of federal immigration laws in this country are fundamentally unjust, exploitive and racist, so it is unethical to enforce them. They are used against people who are asked by businesses to come to this country to work for lower wages and at unpopular tasks, and pay taxes, but have to live in fear of being arbitrarily detained and thrown out of the country at any time, cannot vote, obtain drivers licenses, get back social security that they pay, or have access to an array of other privileges. To be sure, the application of criminal drug laws in this country are also fundamentally unjust, exploitive and racist, but there are public safety and health problems directly related to drugs that are not relevant in immigration matters.

Jordan Kushner
Golden Valley
works downtown

Mike Jensvold Ward 10

--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Aside from the shock and pleasure that comes with my
agreement with certain
folks on the list with whom I don't normally agree,
it seems like we've not
tread any new ground in any of these exchanges. I'd
like to explore just how
Minneapolis can legally declare certain areas of the
city as non-enforcement zones
for independent study of drug use. Federal laws
prohibit all sorts of
activities that could lead us to cogent solutions to
all sorts of societal problems;
shouldn't we be looking at ways to change or legally
circumvent those laws to
find real solutions? As many have pointed out, what
we do instead is to chuck
a significant part of whole generations living in
certain areas or economic
circumstances into the garbage dumps while those who
are better off, legally or
not so legally, live lives unaffected by drug or
substance abuse phenomena
(other than their remuneration as recent posts of
Booker Hodges point out). As a
nation, we forge ahead with traditional solutions
based on speculation and
personal prejudice instead of solid facts about the
problems. What we really need
is a moritorium on the 'War on Drugs' and a deep
rational and scientific
approach to the real problems of substance abuse
leading to the creation of
effective solutions. What can we do here in
Minneapolis to lead the way besides carp
at one another on the list and attend post mortem
vigils or prayer breakfasts
in the troubled spots in our city? I'd be interested
in hearing from the
Mayor and his challenger on these issues.

Because Mayor Ryback promised to make the best of
the position of mayor of
the City of Minneapolis as defined in our charter, I
voted for him in his
campaign against Mayor Sharon Sayles Belton, whom I
thought was invisible and
ineffective; but I don't know that I can vote for
him a second time. Because, as
with Sayles Belton, the actual work of the office
remains largely invisible in
the Ryback Administration, I have grave doubts about
what is actually getting
done. I take seriously Peter McLaughlin's contention
that public participation
has been curtailed during the term of Ryback at the
helm, such as it is, in
City Hall. My impression is of a communications
machine to circulate what to me
appears largely as "spin," i.e., R.T. Ryback appears
to be the 'Virtual' Mayor
of Minneapolis. You can write a "strong mayor" into
the City Charter or not,
but you still must elect the genuine article to get
things done ('Everybody
talks about Minneapolis, but nobody does anything
about it' to misquote Mark
Twain). I think I know who that is, but I still need
convincing.

Bill Kahn
Prospect Park

REMINDERS:
1. Be civil! Please read the NEW RULES at
http://www.e-democracy.org/rules. If you think a
member is in violation, contact the list manager at
[EMAIL PROTECTED] before continuing it on the list.

For state and national discussions see:
http://e-democracy.org/discuss.html
For external forums, see:
http://e-democracy.org/mninteract

Minneapolis Issues Forum - A Civil City-focused
Civic Discussion - Mn E-Democracy
Subscribe, Un-subscribe, etc. at: