> This is a smart investment for Carl Pohlad he will make his money back on
> naming rights as Jim has reminded everyone, and the value of his team will
> increase more than his $125 million contribution as soon as the project is
> started.

That value is only realized if the team is sold.  if the team is sold
within 10 years or so, the county gets a piece of the profits.  That
would tell me that this simply isn't a ploy by Pohlad to get a stadium
built so he can sell the team for maximum value.  If it were, he never
would have agreed to cut the county in on the profit of a  sale.  This
is unlike the vikings owner.

> I had a friend of mine argue it is an "investment" for the county and city.
> We made  same investment in the Metro Dome and it has been a depreciating
> investment since the day it has been built. I will guarantee after new
> stadiums are built for the Twins and the Vikings the city of Minneapolis will
> use tax increment finance dollars to tear down and redevelop that area of
> down town. We will be on the hook for more then just a new stadium.

What kind of guarantee are you giving us?  While TIF is a possibility,
TIF has come under great scrutiny over the last few years and i don't
feel it can be easily applied as it once was.

> Recently while listening sports radio cleaver banter about the Timberwolves
> and one of the on air talents stated, "The Target Center is just too old".
> The public will always be on the hook for the next stadium or arena as soon
> as one is completed.

the target center was built before the advent or the wide use of club
level seating and the open concourses which increase the fan
experience.   This is why the Excel center is ahead of them in the
arena game.  There is a limit as to what you can build into a stadium
or arena to increase revenue, which is the ultimate goal.  The
metrodome and target center lack those standards that the arenas and
stadiums built in the last 15 years have.  As David pointed out
before, you don't hear this talk related to camden yards or jacobs
field, which are 15 years old or so.

John Harris
webber-camden