Anderson & Turpin wrote:

David Greene:
So the next question is, "how will you hold RT accountable?"

Mark Anderson again:
Real good question David.  You're the one who thinks that representative
system can give us what we want, so I'd like to get your answer.  Rybak is
apparently now in favor of public financing of the stadium, and maybe not as
opposed to other similar projects as he made it appear in his first
campaign.  His main competitor actually voted for the stadium financing and
has generally made a career of supporting such boondoggles.  The dark horses
are not acceptable because of other issues (at least that's my
understanding, I'd be glad to vote for a dark horse, but my favored
candidate has never won in this city).  So how do you hold a candidate
responsible for broken promises (or at least broken implications), when all
the other choices are worse?

There's a choice to be made. What is more important to you, the stadium issue or some other issue on which RT and Peter disagree? If the stadium issue is priority #1 for you, and trumps all other issues, I would suggest that voting RT out would be your choice because he clearly misled voters. Peter at least has been straightforward about the whole thing.

Your comment about other candidates being unacceptable leads me to
believe that the stadium issue really isn't as important to you as
other issues, so I don't understand your dilemma.

But of course this is your decision.  Politics is a complex business.
No one ever gets everything one wants.  We're founded on a system of
compromise.

I've been calling my legislators and asking them to make a deal that
if the ballpark is financed, some dedicated funding for public
transportation be made available (preferably through a regional sales
tax).  This is in the self-interest of Pohlad (lots of trains and
busses right to his field) and with the vote as close as it is in
the House, there ought to be some leverage.

Ron Erhardt has an amendment to the House Transportation Omnibus bill
that would get us about halfway there by shifting 1/4 cent of the
existing sales tax to public transportation and backfilling the
general fund hold by raising the gas tax and shifting some motor
vehicle sales tax money from highways back to the general fund.  The
vote will be close on this one, and it's certainly not veto-proof.

I suggest that we ask our legislators to convince those opposing the
amendment (rural DFL and Republicans, mainly) to pass the amendment
in exchange for votes on the stadium bill.

How about the rest of you?  Are you willing to call your legislators
to ask for this?  If we all want sales taxes to go to needed services,
here's a chance.

Mark Anderson:
I agree that I & R are definitely unwieldy.  They can only be used for major
issues; and only for those issues that can be answered with a yes or no
answer (but now that I think about it, a multiple choice referendum might
work, even though I've never seen it tried).  Public stadium financing is a
perfect example of a question suitable for I & R.  Initiative should be made

Why is this the perfect issue?

hard enough so that we don't have 50 questions on every ballot, but easy
enough so that genuine citizenship objection can have some effect.  I think
getting 20% of the signatures of registered voters would be a good target,
but that's just a guess.

So you would support Pawlenty's and Krinkie's "turbocharged truth in taxation?"

The complexity of issues is a poor reason not to have I & R. Life is
complex, but we still expect everyone to be allowed to make their own
decisions.

Apples and Oranges. We don't set statewide budgets in our everyday experience.

Should people be forced to go into professions determined by the
state, because it is too complex for the average person to make the correct
choice? I assume your answer would be no, because individual freedom is
more important than the possibility of making a mistake? For the same
reason, people have the right to make the policy decisions for their own
government. There is nothing stopping people from voting in a referendum
based on what the experts say who have studied the issues in depth, such as
in your example with public transportation.

Money drives referendums, plain and simple. Suppose public transportation funding was put up for a vote. The MN Chamber would have no problem pouring millions of dollars into a campaign to stop a sales tax increase, all the way misleading people about how they'd lose their jobs if it went through.

There's also the question of timing.  We need public transportation
funding TODAY.  We cannot wait until 2007.  Cuts are already planned.

Would you require a referendum for a sales tax dedicated to
public transportation?

I don't understand your comment about slipping it in the back door.  What
are you talking about?

I'm talking about using referendum on a variety of issues rather than just setting down a general policy. Why do local sales taxes go to referendum but not property taxes? Why not state sales taxes? Why should some issues have a referendum and not others? How do we decide what goes to referendum and what doesn't?

As we've seen, a statutory requirement for referendum can be
easily bypassed at the legislature.  If we really think I&R
is a good idea, let's write it into the constitution and answer
all these questions definitively.

I think it would be a tremendous mistake to do so.

David Greene
The Wedge