In a message dated 5/16/2005 2:05:24 PM Central Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>>>I have stated where I stand  politically on previous posts.  If the party
chooses to endorse a candidate  I personally do not believe upholds my
personal values, I will not vote for  them, in the primary or otherwise.  I do
the
same on the convention floor  as I do in the voting booth.  Vote my conscience.

  <<

JP:
I have to disagree with Pamela (whom I normally agree with though)  on a few
things in regards to this and other points she's raised.  I'm  having a hard
time reconciling the thought that delegates must endorse a  candidate, and the
position that those RT supporters that left disrespected the  process with the
fact that you wouldn't vote for a candidate that you felt  didn't uphold your
values even if he got the endorsement but rather that you  vote your
conscience.  It seems to me that those who left were voting their  conscience,
they
didn't want to endorse Peter and RT wasn't going to get support  from Peter's
folks and so they voted with their feet. If you believe the idea  people should
vote their conscience and you're in a convention that's  deadlocked, then
realistically you have to either allow for no endorsement or  for people to
agree
to go home or whatever.  Otherwise you're forcing  people not to vote their
conscience, but rather to but persuaded in order to go  home

Ultimately, though, I think our endorsing process is flawed in a few
regards.  I don't think we've done enough to include underrepresented  groups,
what
should be people voting their conscience is actually family,  friends and
supporters of a particular candidate trying to ensure his/her  success, and in
primarily one-party town (no disrespect intended to Greens,  Repulicans and
Independents) the endorsement is not only the litmus test but  clearing the
field
of candidates that might reach or resonate with voters.   We have a primary,
and therefore don't need the endorsement to eliminate  candidates in
Minneapolis.

In my opinion, the endorsement should be about  nominating who is best for
the party, but if you're going to do that, 60% is way  to low.  It should be
90%
so that you can say that a candidate truly  represents the will of the
delegates.  And while people may snap at RT and  make comments about being
"imaginary", how many delegates went out and polled  their neighbors so they
could best
represent them? How many came to the  convention undecided prepared to give
any candidate fair consideration,  certainly not anyone volunteering for or
wearing a campaign's t-shirt, myself  included. The majority of people had a
candidate in mind walking in.  I'm  not downing that, it's just the nature of
the
beast.

But because the  percentage is so low (60%), you can't really call the
endorsement a  mandate.  There is a wide difference between the way things are
supposed to  be or ideally are and they way they actually are. Our country is
founded on the  principles of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness and
that
all men are  created equal.......by a group of slaveowners who treated women
like cattle and  the inheritors or which can't support two people who love each
other being  married because they're the same gender.  Our party and processes
are not  always what they claim to or should be.  It's part of being human
and we do  the best we can. Ultimately, what I would do is change it to be
similar to what  some of the caucases do, endorse who you like and put your
resources behind  that/those candidate(s), rate acceptable or unacceptable the
rest,
and let  voter's decide in the Primary.

Jonathan Palmer
Victory