I see that we're getting back into the DeLaSalle vs. Parks debate. I'd like to ask whether the words "& Recreation" have been dropped from the name of the "Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board?" If not, then I have difficulty figuring out what the complaint is about the Minneapolis Park AND RECREATION Board trying to build athletic fields anywhere on its land. It seems to me that it is within its legitimate interest to build new recreation areas. And, in trying to work out a deal with DeLaSalle, it seems to me that it is trying to work out a win/win solution. Sure, DeLaSalle gets something that it didn't have before but so does the Park AND RECREATION Board. Namely, it gets fields for recreation that it didn't have before and those fields are going to be available to the public. If anyone wants to argue that the public must get more time on the fields or that DeLaSalle must pay more, that's fair. But to say that there may be not change in the use of the land is just NIMBY.

I'm also disturbed by the regular mention that DeLaSalle is a Catholic facility. It seems to me that anyone can make an issue over whether ANY public/private deal is sufficiently in the public interest. But the fact that it is Catholic, or even religious, is absolutely irrelevant from the debate. If it were relevant, then the religious affiliation of all those who rent land on Nicollet Island from the Park AND RECREATION Board would also be relevant. But, it wasn't relevant then and it's still not relevant now. So, please, lets keep the debate on the issue of whether a public/private deal is sufficiently in the public interest and forget the religious overtones.

Steve Cross
Prospect Park