Becca Vargo Daggett wrote:
<>
Here's what the City of Minneapolis is proposing to do: It chooses a private company (or consortium of companies) to build a network.

and...

Alternative scenario #1: Minneapolis owns the entire network infrastructure, fiber and wireless. If it contracts for network management, the contracts are 3 years or so in duration, allowing to keep quality up through competition.

The City's own services come at the cost of wholesale access to the Internet via long-haul providers. This includes community centers, libraries, and schools. It sells wholesale access to other public entities and non-profits. It sells wholesale access to the network to several competing ISPs. Revenue from the sale of wholesale access pays off the investment in the network.

and...

Alternative scenario #2: Minneapolis owns the fiber backbone of the network. Since fiber is depreciated over 20 years, it makes sense to bond for it. It provides wholesale access as above.

The City chooses a private company to build and own the citywide wireless portion of the network. It sells the WiFi company wholesale access to its fiber and collects a percentage of revenues in exchange for access to city assets. Or perhaps it gets free access to the wireless network for municipal services and some public access.

The biggest difference between the first and the second two scenarios is that in the latter, any funds directed at community access, as opposed to simply bandwidth, would have to be a line item in the budget. As such, it would be a target for cuts at some future date. On the other hand, cuts beyond our control could be made in a CBA, just as has happened when state and federal government has whittled away at local government electric, phone, and cable agreements with private companies.

AN:<> I believe a publicly owned Wi-Fi network would be the most beneficial option for the citizens of Minneapolis. If the city owned the network, costs could be kept down and there would be no monopoly of service. The Green Party is committed to the public ownership of utilities. In our information society, the control of Internet access is as important as the control of telephone networks was in the nineteenth century.

Wi-Fi is the most economical way to give high speed Internet access to the majority of Minneapolis residents. Other cities that own their Wi-Fi networks can deliver Internet access to their citizens for lower costs than cable and telephone networks. (please visit http://www.chaska.net - Alternative scenario #1, I believe). The Chaska model, in my opinion, is the wisest option for all citizens of Minneapolis. We must be not allow an "outsourcing" of network development and service, particularly given the security implications surrounding our EMT responders. Please ask our current Council members how the outsourcing went of their current computer infrastructure. <>

If Minneapolis owns the infrastructure, it could have multiple providers using the network, fostering competition, lowering costs and improving quality. Park and library buildings could be free Wi-Fi zones for anyone to use. We are still committed to providing more computers in libraries for people who do not have the means to own home computers. Publicly owned Wi-Fi maximizes access and allows Minneapolis to affordable provide an essential service of the 21st century.

Aaron Neumann (Sheridan)
Candidate for City Council Ward 3 (Green Party)
Northside * Northeast * Southeast
612.788.1284
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.VoteNeumann.org

"Bridging our Diverse Communities with Social, Economic, and Environmental Justice * Common Sense Vision for the 21st Century"

"Politics isn't about big money or power games; it's about the improvement of people's lives." - Paul Wellstone
<>