While I appreciate the need to have QM naming convention reflect the underlying platform, I think it makes more sense to keep QM names the same for dev test and prod environments. This is for 2 basic reasons:

1] Many MQ admins rely on script generators such as  SupportPac MS03 to save/clone an MQ config for promotion to production, and if the QM names are different, it means editing the files and whatever objects were dependent on the QM name.
2] Some MQ apps do NOT want to use the local default QM for connection, or require a specific destination QM in the MQOPEN for reasons such as "forced" loadbalancing, hence different QM names between environments means changes to code.

Although 2] could (and should) be helped by externalizing all QM names/vars in property/profile files, it's a lot easier when you don't have the worry of making QM name changes when promoting to production. OTOH, if your environment is clustered, this makes having different QM names much less of an issue.

I've found it boils down to who dominates in your organization: The hardware/infrastructure, or the architect/design/development teams.
Steve Sacho
CSSD - Enterprise Architecture
Tel: 805-577-3983
Internal: 92-598-3983

"Boger, Dan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: "MQSeries List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

06/24/2002 08:26 AM
Please respond to "MQSeries List"