I believe it to be by design (I think my memory of how it works is correct).
I couldn't find a statement in the documentation about this which surprised
me as the MQ docs are generally pretty good about documenting everything you
need to know (though it's not always that easy to find the bit you need)!

Obviously the folks in Hursley are best placed to confirm  that the
behaviour is as I stated and to comment on why it works the way it does.

Regards,
David C. Partridge
Security Products Manager
Primeur Group