In a way, the compiler ALWAYS ignores the CICS commands because they are commented out
and replaced by a series of moves and calls. You cannot make the compiler ignore the
substituted code, but you can render it ineffective.  To do that, write a NO-OP stub
and link it in place of CICS's ECI stub for the batch version of the program.

That' solves one technical hurdle, but there are others.  I believe another responder
gave you ideas about how to deal with other linkage, concurrency, and re-entrancy
issues. You also need to be careful that any functionality this is provided by CICS is
provided another way in batch and visa-versa.  Bottom line--it's pretty tricky
business.

Personally, I'd adivse modularizing your application into batch-only parts, CICS-only
parts, and parts that go both ways. By definition, the both-way parts would NOT
contain any CICS coding at all. Of course, you then need to develop both a CICS
version and a batch version of some parts, but that's a LOT easier than developing one
that works both ways.