Each shop has its own  standards, but I agreee that, even if the same
loadmodule is used there s/b separate loadlibraries.

                      "Miller, Dennis"
                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]        To:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                      OM>                      cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  Re: general programming doubt
                      "MQSeries List"
                      <MQSERIES@AKH-Wie
                      n.AC.AT>

                      12/13/2002 05:17
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      "MQSeries List"

I agree it's probably better that the differentiation is obvious/apparent
in the source code rather than masked in the form of calls that return
without performing their intended functions.  However, I think it's risky
to share one copy of the same load module, if that means also sharing the
load library and giving CICS access to many other programs that might not
be so friendly. I say, even if you can figure out how to deploy dual-mode
programs from a common source, don't deploy them from a common load module.
Or at least have designated loadlibs for these dual-mode programs so they
don't get mixed in with everything else.

regards,
Dennis

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>                       OM>                      cc:
>                       Sent by:                 Subject:  Re: general
programming doubt
>                       "MQSeries List"
>                       <MQSERIES@AKH-Wie
>                       n.AC.AT>
>

>                       12/13/2002 12:58
>                       PM
>                       Please respond to
>                       "MQSeries List"
>

> In a way, the compiler ALWAYS ignores the CICS commands because they are
> commented out and replaced by a series of moves and calls. You cannot
make
> the compiler ignore the substituted code, but you can render it
> ineffective.  To do that, write a NO-OP stub and link it in place of
CICS's
> ECI stub for the batch version of the program.
>
> That' solves one technical hurdle, but there are others.  I believe
another
> responder gave you ideas about how to deal with other linkage,
concurrency,
> and re-entrancy issues. You also need to be careful that any
functionality
> this is provided by CICS is provided another way in batch and visa-versa.
> Bottom line--it's pretty tricky business.
>
> Personally, I'd adivse modularizing your application into batch-only
parts,
> CICS-only parts, and parts that go both ways. By definition, the both-way
> parts would NOT contain any CICS coding at all. Of course, you then need
> develop both a CICS version and a batch version of some parts, but that's
> LOT easier than developing one that works both ways.

the intended addressee only.  Any unauthorized use, dissemination of the
information, or copying of this message is prohibited.  If you are not the
message.

The information contained in this message may be CONFIDENTIAL and is for the intended
addressee only.  Any unauthorized use, dissemination of the information, or copying of
this message is prohibited.  If you are not the intended addressee, please notify the
sender immediately and delete this message.