>Now the powers that be want to use this type of asynchronous facility for
>all communications. Even if the user MUST get a valid reply on the status
>of the request and MUST get this in a timely manner.

        Matching the best technology to the job at hand should be science, but taking
broad brush strokes make it more like art. (I'm really thinking it makes it more like
something else, but I'll be nice). One thing you can do is point out the places
synchronous transports are already in place. FTP, ODBC, HTTP, SDLC, TELNET, etc. You
might even point out that MQ channels are inherently synchronous. Between you and me,
the statement "ALL communications should be asynchronous" is a (typical management)
over-simplification.

        On the otherhand, I do respect the desire to limit the diversity of
technologies that your orgainization must understand and support. So it really becomes
a case of which is better: to take on a different technology that's better suited to
the job or to "stretch" an existing technology. That can only be answered on a
case-by-case basis. I think it makes good sense to standardize on fewer, rather than
more messaging products, but you don't want the stretch to snap any tendons.

        In the case of MQ, I'd suggest there are some limitations for synchronous
applications. One is the performance disadvantage, which really only surfaces at
fairly high volumes. Two is distributed transaction support. Another is dependency on
real time. Except where you have definitive requirements like these that justify
otherwise, I side with the argument to "go with what you know".

        regards,
        Dennis