Why don’t we declare the maximum size message for our queue managers, queues, and channels when we FIRST create these objects. From some very preliminary tests conducted on AIX boxes, it appears that size doesn’t matter for MQSeries.  Testing different size messages with the three mentioned MQ objects, the svmon –P <PID> utility showed little variation in memory consumption between using the default 4MB message size or a 100MB message – except when it was actually being transmitted.

Basically the question I’m asking is that you might as well define ALL your MQSeries objects with the maximum message size and eliminate all the runtime errors associated with “message too large” for the MQ object it is targeted for. It doesn’t appear that memory is preallocated for these resources UNTIL it is needed. Looking for some brisk discussion on this.  Not looking for your thoughts, just facts that can either prove or disprove the statement made above.  Thanks.

Stephan C. Moen