From: "Stephan C. Moen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Maximum size of defined message
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 00:14:13 -0600

Bobbee,

I guess I take a different tack.  I look for consistency, continuity, and
simplicity in my operational environment.  I don't want to create
artificial
limits for my technology stack because I know eventually, those limits will
be tested and require changes; that has been proven over time. So why not
start out by taking those limits off the table.  Why should I place
artificial limits on my infrastructure if I don't have to.  Isn't that a
primary goal of MQSeries - reliability, availability and scalability (RAS)?
If the message size is raised ABOVE the maximum limit, the problem will be
caught at the application ISSUING the call, which is where it should be;
just following your viewpoint of determining where the BLAME should go.

Lastly, the application can easily be coded to handle large message sizes.
As we all know, the MQGET call will return the size of the message is has
or
tried to retrieve.  If your application buffer is too small to accept the
read message, there are several options that can be done.  Following anyone
of the steps listed below, will prevent you from waking up at 3AM.

1) perform another MQGET with a dynamically allocated buffer set to the
message size from the first call
2) have the application automatically move the message into an ERROR queue;
keep the workflow moving..
3) allow MQGET to truncate the message (not the best option), so a
poison-loop condition doesn't exist
4) You can always have your application determine the max message size of
the queue manager it is connecting to. This will GUARANTEE that the
application will NEVER receive a message it can't handle because of message
size.

To address your point about a good architect, isn't the architect's job to
MINIMIZE outages and not point fingers.  If anything, it's the architect's
fault for not designing the application to handle this type of situation.
That's what a GOOD architect would do; eliminate POTENTIAL problems before
they have a chance to surface.  I would assume that is a line-item in every
MQSeries Architect's Best Practices Binder.

So I will post the question again, what are the issues?  I have yet to hear
a reason why this wouldn't be a good idea.  And Bobbee, please proof-read
your reply.  I'm not totally sure what you were trying to say on your first
reply ( but I responded to what I 'thought' you were saying ) but I'm sure
your second one will be crystal clear.

Stephan C. Moen