There is NO reason to monitor queue sizes.  The queue files (e.g., AIX
platform is /var/mqm/qmgrs/<QmgrName>/queues/*) DYNAMICALLY change in size
based on usage or when a queue manager is restarted or if previously active
queues have been idle for some time.  What you mean to say is "you want to
monitor the size of the file system where the queues for the queue manager
in question reside.  I believe under V5.1 and below, queue sizes could grow
to 320MBs, V5.2 this changed to 2GBs and V5.3 its now 2TBs (for UNIX
systems).  For V5.1 systems, in the TuningParameters section of the mq.ini
file, if you specify the keyword 'DefaultQFileSize' and set it to 1GB
(DefaultQFileSize=1000000000), then bounce the queue manager, any NEW queues
created will now grow up to this size.

If a "Queue Full" condition is encountered, check messages that go to your
DLQ for a reason code of 2053 (MQRC_Q_FULL or Hexadecimal number 0805 - how
the RC is stored in the DLQ header).  Now tailor your DLQ Rules Table
appropriately for the action you want your DLQ utility (e.g., runmqdlq) to
take when this type of error condition is encountered.

   REASON(MQRC_Q_FULL)
   ACTION(FWD)
   FEWQ(OverFlowQueue)

   runmqdlq < MyRulesTable.txt

A 2053 reason code is normally associated with "maximum number of messages
reached".  I have never seen a condition where the queue size was at
capacity.  If somebody has seen this condition and it was registered within
the AMQERR01.LOG file, please respond back as to what the AMQxxxx number
issue.  I'm sure I would not be the only one interested in this error.
We do manage messages UP TO 85MBs in size, so if the application reading
this queue becomes hung, it won't take but a few hundred messages before
this condition becomes reality.

Also check your SYSTEM.ADMIN.PERFM.EVENT queue, because when queue full
conditions are encountered, an event message will be put to this queue by
the queue manager that detected this condition.  If you have enabled
PERFORMANCE EVENTS and are monitoring this queue, then you should be able to
catch this condition when it occurs, and alert your staff.

Stephan C. Moen