Tim,

Make sure you use MQ 5.3 in the DMZ.  One of the new features is a channel
attribute that binds the channel to a particular local IP address.  Your DMZ
will have two addresses we are concerned with - the IP address your trusted
network sees, and the IP address the world sees.  You will also have two
categories of channel: customer-facing channels and internal-facing
channels.  By specifying the LOCLADDR, you can insure that your
internal-facing channels are not hijacked by external users.

For example, assume your DMZ server has a RCVR or RQSTR channel called
APPSVR.DMZ with no exit.  One of your customers could create a SDR or SVR
channel called APPSVR.DMZ and try to start it. Without a LOCLADDR specified,
the channel would bind to the external-facing IP and the firewall would
allow the connection.  On the other hand, if you set the LOCLADDR attribute
to your internal-facing IP address, the external firewall will disallow the
connection.

There are a LOT of other considerations.  For example, if the data is
sensitive and encrypted, you don't want to store the keys on the DMZ.  It
would be better to have the messages signed/encrypted at either end and have
them pass the DMZ unaltered.

Also, IP filtering as provided at the firewall is strong but not 100%
reliable.  It is possible to spoof an IP address and it is possible that an
intrusion attempt could come from a trusted business partner.  If your
listeners are running as mqm, they can potentially be hijacked.  Better to
run your listeners as low-privileged IDs.  Use different listeners and ports
for internal-facing and external-facing connections.  In fact, use different
listeners for each customer if you want to be really safe.

Finally, consider the implications of multiple clients using the same QMgr.
If one client can put messages onto another client's remote queue, your
company may be partially liable for any damages that are caused.  You can
enforce isolation of each client's traffic if each client has its own
listener, running under its own ID, listening on its own port; and each
client has its own channel pair, its own UserID in the MCAUSER, and its own
remote queues authorized to that UserID.

This is just a quick review.  If you really want to harden your DMZ (and I
hope you do by now!) There are many additional options available in MQ
configuration, exits, architecture, etc.  It all depends on how valuable and
sensitive the messages are and how far you want to go to protect them.

-- T.Rob