Chris,

You are not blind, but there is a way to set the MQMD version to 1. See the
protected method in ImqMessage...
static void setVersionSupported ( const MQLONG );

You should be able to use this method something like this...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
class MyImqMessage: public ImqMessage {
public:
  static void setVersion1() {
    setVersionSupported(MQMD_VERSION_1);
  }
};

int main(int argc, char** argv)
{
  MyImqMessage::setVersion1();
  MyImqMessage *msg = new MyImqMessage();   // This is now an
MQMD_VERSION_1 message
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I'm not sure what you mean by "What is the proper method for copying the
MQMDE into my message buffer?", but you should be able to do this...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
MQMDE mqmde;
msg->write( sizeof(MQMDE), &mqmde );
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Apologies if this is not what you are after.

Regards,
Ian Vanstone
WebSphere MQ for z/OS Development

                      "Fryett.Chris"
                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]        To:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                      TRUST.COM>               cc:
                      Sent by: MQSeries        Subject:  Re: MQMDE - C++
                      List
                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                      N.AC.AT>

I am trying to send the MQMDE structure as part of the message in order to
support OS/390 WMQ V5.2 applications.  What I have found is the C++ API on
the distributed side uses/forces the MQMD Version 2 so I can't set the
version for the MQMD to Version 1, unless I am blind.  Which right now is
highly possibly 8-|

By the way I am also having a major brain block here at 2:45am EDT.  What
is the proper method for copying the MQMDE into my message buffer?  LOL!
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Chris