>From my experiments and what people are saying, it would appear that mqm can
do anything regardless of what has been done with setmqaut (this is probably
different on MVS, as the MQ admins there won't typically have RACF authority
except possibly group special).   This leads me to think that this customer
is SOL.

PS Yes, I know we COULD do something using an API crossing exit with a hard
coded check for the queue name(s) and the user opening them, but of course
mqm user could readily remove any such exit ...

Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: MQSeries List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Pavel
Tolkachev
Sent: 09 July 2003 18:39
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Using setmqaut

Thanks David, Rebecca:

Basically, I agree with all Rebecca said about limiting access in general:
that's why we try not to work under root account on Unix, even if we have
it; in the particular case, however, I implicitly assumed David was seeking
to actually prohibit users in mqm group from accessing a queue; I should
have probably asked first.

I also made my check (on AIX system) and found that setmqaut cannot deprive
mqm group of its ability to access queues (checked with dspmqaut: -all does
not change mqm's unlimited rights). I was wrong in my previous mail : mqm
*is* on the list from the beginning; and it cannot be removed (at least I
could not).

I also agree that, from security administration point of view, the argument
of accountability is used (and misused) pretty often especially when they
cannot offer some technically sound solution for a difficult problem, like
providing keystore passphrases for unattended servers (MQ's CMS keystore is
not an exception -- another reason why you may want to keep most users out
of mqm group). Once I had to scramble (of course, not to encrypt -- with
what password?) such a phrase for these guys who earnestly beleived that
using 'od' on encrypted password file or 'vi' or 'view' on a script in which
did the scrambling would look much more fishy in their logs than using
'view' or 'vi' on an unencrypted file (and whom they want to hide the
password from? -- from the very user who was supposed to enter it at the
first place!). Back to David's problem, I do not see any greater chances for
the user allowed in mqm group to be caught for running setmqaut (why else he
would be allowed
there?) than for running the application capable to access a queue (why
would s/he do it if s/he is supposed to administer?).

Also, on Unix, playing around with MQ installation (you would have to change
the binary permissions that are r-sr-s--- for setmqaut after installation)
might make the work IBM technical support, should you need it, more
difficult. I always try to avoid that.

Actually, I had to play with this unnatural (MQ+security on distributed
systems) combination quite a bit, so, if David tells us in more details what
he wants to achieve, there is a chance I have some more or less proven
recipe (for Unix or Windows platform only).

Thanks for reading this far :-),
Pavel

                      "Bullock, Rebecca
                      (CSC)"                   To:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]        cc:
                      >                        Subject:  Re: Using setmqaut
                      Sent by: MQSeries
                      List
                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                      n.AC.AT>

                      07/09/2003 11:56
                      AM

Pavel, while it may seem somewhat counterintuitive, it's not terribly
uncommon for a user who can change security access to something to not have
access to that thing. Yes, they can change the access, but the hope is that
this would be caught through some sort of reporting/logging. The other
advantage of doing this is that it prevents accidental modification of some
critical queue data; if you needed to do those modifications, you would at
that time do the setmqaut and then turn it back off when you're done.

This may not be irrelevant here anyway. Since setmqaut sets access at the
group level and, I presume, you could set the permissions on setmqaut so
that group could not run it while the owner could, it would be possible to
stop a user in the mqm group, but is not mqm himself, from running setmqaut
to reset permissions.

Just my take on this issue, based on doing other security stuff that's not
MQ... Rebecca

Rebecca Bullock
Computer Sciences Corporation
MFCoE/Newark CS Team