Title: FW: MQ software evolution - fill in the gaps?

Since no one took up the gauntlet for MQSI or MQ Workflow, I'll have a shot at MQSI...
(I dug into my memory, some old presentations and some redbooks I have around, but this gives a reasonable history)

Beginning of 1998 IBM saw an opportunity for an addition to the MQ Family (this is also the timeframe in which the 'triangle' was invented :-) ), which does routing and transformation of messages i.e. the entry of IBM to a high value market of Message Brokers (start of the (n-1)**2 versus n connections pitch, unfortunately they didn't have a product...

So let's build one and put Hursley to work. Plans were made and MQSI V2 as we know it today was born (on paper).

Plans got a little bigger and it turned out that a delivery date would end up somewhere in 2000 (2 years from beginning 1998...) So waddah-y-a do??? there is this huge opportunity and nothing to sell...

Bam... There is a company called NEON (New Era of Networks, not to be confused with NEON Systems (NESY on NASDAQ...), which has a product called NEONET and it has some interesting patented technology... So first steps were taken and the first IBM Sales of NEONET 4.0 as MQIntegrator 1.0 were done as PRPQ's (IBM name for special products that are not in the catalog...) and support was done through NEON. This turned out a huge success but...

The PRPQ process is not so easy (internal IBM stuff) and support came from NEON, which most IBM customers did not really like (they are used to one point of contact...) so...

IBM announces (and immediately delivers, after doing all the paperwork with IBM lawyers and NEON) in
- April 1999 MQSeries Integrator V1.0 (Shortname MQI), which is the OEM version of NEONET V4.01
  (notice the subtle difference between MQIntegrator and MQSeries Integrator...) soon followed in
- June     1999 by MQSeries Integrator V1.1, which is the OEM version of NEONET V4.1.1
- December 1999 MQSeries Integrator on AS/400 sees the light (still kicking around and supported until 31 JUL 2004!)
- December 1999 MQSeries Integrator V1.1.1 on OS/390 (not sure about this one..., but is still supported and no end date is

  known yet...)
  time goes by and Hursley is working their b*tts off and MQSeries development almost halts... in
- March    2000 MQSeries Integrator V2.0 (Shortname MQSI), with MQSeries Integrator V1.1 stuck underneath as is, debuts on

  the Windows platform
  (remember this V2 is the product IBM had in mind beginning of 1998..., so this was meant as the V1 product, also
  deducted by simple rule of thumb, because all V2 IBM products have to be multi-language and MQSI V2 was not...),
  followed by
- June     2000 MQSeries Integrator V2.0.1 on Sun Solaris (because there was a customer willing to pay for early delivery,

  but the product is delayed until August...) and
- August   2000 MQSeries Integrator V2.0.1 on AIX and an update of the Windows code
- April    2001 MQSeries Integrator V2.0.2 on NT
- June     2001 MQSeries Integrator V2.0.2 on AIX, Solaris, HP-UX and iSeries (wasn't this the thing running on the Windows

  NT emulation card?), V2.0.2 included the move to NEONET V5.2, which was renamed to e-Biz Integrator by NEON...
- Fall     2001 announcement of WebSphere MQ Integrator V2.1 (Shortname WMQI), to include the first V2 version on 390 AND one

  of the first 390 products to come as OTC (one time charge) whereas most 390 software is billed month after month, year

  after year...
- December 2001 WebSphere MQ Integrator V2.1 (with non-working new MRM2, but fixed in CSD3...) available on NT/2000, AIX,

  Sun, HP-UX and iSeries (still on the Windows Emulation Card?)
- December 2001 WebSphere MQ Integrator for z/OS V2.1
  BTW: V2.1 includes NEONET or e-Biz Integrator V5.6 Rules and Formatter

  Meanwhile IBM went on the eclipse plan and so had WebSphere MQ Integrator... a lot of time was spend on this and a lot of

  new function was halted in development... then someone thought hey... we refresh code completely using CSDs so why not put

  the changes in the CSD's... and so it happened that a CSD (which is a Corrective Service Disk/Distribution) contained new

  functionality...   this notorious CSD was number 3 :-)...
  and time went on.... eclipsifying things in Hursley...
- in the meantime something like WebSphere MQ Integrator Broker V2.1 saw the light, which was WS MQI without NEON (so it was

  cheaper...)
- WebSphere MQ Event Broker V2.1 (Shortname WMQEB) turned up... basically WS MQI V2.1 without NEON AND without Compute
  nodes... but with
  High-Speed Pub/Sub based on TCP/IP Multicast technology.
- May 2003 IBM announces WebSphere Business Integration Message Broker V5 (Shortname WBI MB, or as I already heard somewhere

  WebSphere BIMBo :-)... ), which is the follow on for WebSphere MQ Integrator Broker V2.1...
  So what to do with NEON name wise...??? you get it... we call it: ... with Rules & Formatter Extensions...
  which makes: WebSphere Business Integration Message Broker V5 with Rules & Formatter Extensions
  the longest product name I have seen...
  and there is also a WebSphere Business Integration Event Broker V5 (Shortname WBI EB or WebSphere BIEB...)

  and to make working with products easy... if you install WBI MB, WBI EB gets installed underneath automatically and you see

  references to WBIMB and WBIEB all over the place, especially when you hit the new... 'search for updates' button...

  pfff... If anyone has something to add... :-) please do...

  Michael Dag
  (yes.. I used to work for IBM)