OH Well, I guess I am getting a F in History this semester!!!!!

bee-oh-dubble-bee-dubble-egh

From: Paul Clarke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: MQ software evolution - fill in the gaps?
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 13:36:21 +0100

After my last append I have had a number of private queries asking things
like "wasn't MQ based on TCAM" etc. So I went to the horses mouth as it
were and spoke to one of the senior developers on the WMQ z/OS product
who's been working on MQ even longer than I have.  This was his
response.....

"I'm sorry to spoil anyone's ideas of the history of the 390 Queue Manager
but I think it is worth clarifying  the real origins of the product.  Some
of the initial infrastructure code and functional resource managers were
taken from DB2 . The initial development team reused a number of the DB2
resource managers for which a database and queue manager have similar
requirements.  For example  ,  a Recovery Manager,  a Log Manager ,  a
Storage manger ,  Command Handling/ Parsing , Utilities etc. This is why at
a first glance the casual observer might confuse a DB2mstr address space
with a WMQmstr address space.   We also used the Data Space Control
Facility (DSCF)  services of DB2 ,  to  provide a framework in which it was
easy/easier to add queueing specific resource managers to a  Queue Manager
product. But he most important point to note is that all of the Queueing
specific resource managers were written at Hursley,  for example the
Message Manager , the Data Manager , the Buffer Manager  , the Lock Manager
and  the Security Manager to name but a few. Many of these components had
to be written from scratch due to the fundamental differences in read/write
profiles of users of databases and the users of queues.
Paul Kettley MQ/MQSeries/WMQ developer 1991-2003""

So.....let's hear no more about TCAM or EzBridge eh ?

Cheers,
P.

Paul G Clarke
WebSphere MQ Development