If you just want to look at the Format field of the MQMD then you can do a
MQGET to a zero length buffer with the browse option and accept truncated
message options turned on, then using the message length returned by the
browse and the Format field of the MQMD plus the MsgId and CorrelId issue
your destructive get as MQGMO_MSG_UNDER_CURSOR. Use MQGMO_LOCK option in
you browse loop or handle the rc=2033(MQRC_NO_MSG_AVAILABLE) if another
instance of your app has retrieved the message you want.

Regards
Tim A

                      Rommel Uy
                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]        To:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                      BM.COM>                  cc:
                      Sent by: MQSeries        Subject:
                      List
                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                      N.AC.AT>

Hello all,

Is there a way to determine if the message in a queue is ascii or binary
before you do an MQGET on it ? The reason is that if the message is ascii
then we would like to specify the MQGMO_CONVERT when we do the MQGET.

Thanks
Rommel