From: Kulbir S. Thind [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, September 10, 2003 6:07 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Hostnames or IP addresses for channel connection names

Hi there,

We have a very large network of MQSeries installations (> 300 installations) that are currently using a mixture of Hostnames and IP addresses for the channel connection names.  We are in the process of reviewing our configurations and will be looking to standardise the use of the conname attribute, either go with Hostnames or IP addresses.

Our gut feeling is to go with Hostnames as they are more descriptive of what the channel is connected to and also gives us the flexibility of being able to change IP addresses of machines without effecting channel definitions.  However, there are people in our team that seem to suggest that using an IP address rather than a hostname would significantly improve performance, is this true?  I can believe that there may be a difference in channel startup times but after that there should be no difference, is this correct?

Which do people tend to use and why?

Thanks,

Kulbir.

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it may contain privileged or

confidential information. It is solely for use by the individual for whom

it is intended, even if addressed incorrectly. If you received this e-mail

in error, please notify the sender; do not disclose, copy, distribute, or

take any action in reliance on the contents of this information; and delete

it from your system. Any other use of this e-mail is prohibited. Thank you

for your compliance.