I totally agree. Our network is in a constant state of change, but our host
names change much less frequently. So I get to ignore most of the things
that change here. I doubt that there's any appreciable response time hit
either, because I would assume that the host-to-IP translation only is done
at channel start anyway.

                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>         To:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                      Sent by: MQSeries        cc:
                      List                     Subject:  Re: Hostnames or IP addresses
for channel connection names
                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                      N.AC.AT>

                      09/10/2003 05:35
                      AM

Hi Kulbir,

IMO, you should always use DNS, and refuse to set up a channel connection
by IP address. Before we took this stand, we'd been bitten by folk out in
the 'Fischer Price' world changing the IP of a server and failing to notify
us. If they forget to have the DNS record changed, then it'll be picked up
in basic system testing.

Ian