                      List
                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                      C.AT>

                      10/01/2003 10:39 AM

Doesn't the web server bind to port 80 for HTTP?

-----Original Message-----
From: Rick Tsujimoto [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, October 01, 2003 9:21 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: mqm group

T. Rob,

Why bind to a port below 1024?

                      "Wyatt, T. Rob"
                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]         To:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                      MERICA.COM>                  cc:
                      Sent by: MQSeries            Subject: Re: mqm group
                      List
                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                      C.AT>

                      10/01/2003 07:43 AM

Navin,

When I was installing AppWatch on our Solaris server I discovered that I
couldn't start the web server as mqm.  Seems you need root privileges to
bind to any port below 1024.  Our sysadmin created a Power Broker profile
that allows me to start the server as mqm *and* bind to port 80.  We happen
to have Power Broker but this could have been accomplished using any of
several tools, including those that are built in to the OS.

If your sysadmin needs convincing, you could write a script that puts root
in the mqm group.  Don't actually run it, just show it to him and explain
that, with Web Logic running as root, you could execute this script (or any
other) with Web Logic's root privileges and gain complete control of the
server.  Then if he's still not convinced, run the script under Web Logic.
within a day or two, you'll have the server running under it's own group.

--- T.Rob